We are often asked by our patients if they have to give up their NHS GP when paying for a private GP, in some cases our patients have been told, incorrectly, that this is the case. We feel it is important for anyone looking at private GP services to know that you do not have to give up your NHS GP. We provide below, useful information for our members, and anyone looking into our Private GP services about their rights when accessing NHS services whilst also using our private GP services.
The Department for Health and Social care published the guidance to the NHS constitution, which states that the “NHS belongs to the people”. It is founded on a common set of principles and values that bind together the communities and people it serves – patients and public – and the staff who work for it. This Constitution establishes the principles and values of the NHS in England. It sets out rights to which patients, public and staff are entitled.
The NHS published additional guidance to further clarify the position for patients accessing and paying for private care:
- NHS organisations should not withdraw NHS care simply because a patient chooses to buy additional private care.
- The NHS should continue to provide free of charge all care that the patient would have been entitled to had he or she not chosen to have additional private care.
- Your NHS care will continue to be free of charge
- You CANNOT be asked to pay towards your NHS care, except where legislation allows charges (e.g. prescription charges)
- The NHS cannot pay / part pay or subsidise your private hospital treatment
- There must be a clear separation between your private treatment and your NHS treatment (different time, place to your NHS treatment)
- Your position on an NHS waiting list should not be affected if you choose to have a private consultation.
- You should not need to have any of the same tests twice – for example, to diagnose or monitor your condition.
These rights are set out in the NHS constitution and supported by further published NHS guidance on patients wishing to pay for private care. These are your legal rights.
Useful information should you wish to know more:- NHS Guidelines – What If I pay for private treatment..
If you are looking for a private GP, want to know how much our private GP services cost, or have any questions about how we work, and what we can do for you, please do get in touch.
Call us today on 01451 600900